Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

MIROSLAW JANKIELEWICZ, COUNCILLOR CANDIDATE WARD 6 - ANSWERS TO FOSS QUESTIONNAIRE

 
Miroslaw Jankielewicz
Candidate for Ward 6 Councillor
www.mj4ward6.ca
contact@mj4ward6.ca
647.479.8917
 
What concrete steps would you take to ensure the preservation of Sam Smith Park? 

As a councillor and user of the park, I will strongly support the Park’s designation as an Environmentally Significant Area and future enhancements to the park that are in line with this designation.  I would like to see a community vegetable garden (hopefully organic) as originally planned near Rabba.  It will bring our community closer, but also residents will learn to better appreciate what it takes to grow your own vegetables.

 
Do you believe it is appropriate to allow a single group such as the Aussie Rules Football Club to have exclusive use of a portion of a tax-payer funded park? What are your views regarding further expansion of this club's "footprint" in the park?
 
I will need more information on this from FOSS and the City.  I’ve passed by the field when they played in many occasions but I didn’t know about any exclusive rights.  I’m in favour of using this portion of the park by residents to play sports, such as soccer and Aussie football.  Again, I need more information.  I’m actually more concerned about the noise created by the loud music played in the skating ring in the winter.


 
Would you support a comprehensive system of greenways and trails connecting parks, particularly those along the waterfront, as outlined in the city's Official Plan? How would you accomplish this?
 
My platform calls for the creation and preservation of open spaces which includes a system of greenways and trails, but I think we need to plan this as part of a comprehensive development strategy for Ward 6. This includes balanced urban infrastructure – residential, commercial, and public space. If elected, I plan to engage different stakeholders and subject matter experts to help me with this endeavour.

 
What do you envision as the future for public accessibility to the Power House at Sam Smith Park?
 
I will need residents’ input on this.

 
How will you vote regarding any future attempt to expand commercial air service at Billy Bishop Airport? Will your decision take into consideration the preservation of Sam Smith Park as an Environmentally Significant Area (ESA)?
 
My decision will take into consideration the entire Ward 6, not just the park.  Ward 6 residents are divided on the issue.  I think it’s because we really don’t have sufficient information to make an informed decision.  What I will not do, is to support the expansion solely on the basis of what the proponent supplies to City Council.

 
How would you deal with the "dogs off leash" problem in Sam Smith Park?
 
I think we need to continue to educate dog owners of the importance of keeping their dogs on a leash.

No comments: